‘Vladimir, hold!’ Trump tells Putin after the deadliest Russian strike against Kyiv in months

'Vladimir, hold!' Trump tells Putin after the deadliest Russian strike against Kyiv in months

London – At least nine people died and dozens were more injured in a Russian night attack against several districts and residential areas in kyiv, Ukrainian officials said Thursday, which led President Donald Trump to issue a directive to Russian President Vladimir Putin: “Vladimir, Stop!”

“I am not happy with Russian attacks on kyiv. It is not necessary, and a very bad time,” Trump said on social networks on Thursday. “Vladimir, stop! 5000 soldiers a week are dying. Let’s make the peace agreement!”

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy of Ukraine, who travels in South Africa, said Thursday that he would cancel part of his planned visit and return to Ukraine earlier than expected.

“It is extremely important for everyone to see and understand what is really happening,” he said. “Almost 70 missiles, including ballistics. And about 150 attack drones.”

Damaged cars are in a patio with other rubble after a Russian ballistic missile attack in kyiv, Ukraine, Thursday, April 24, 2025.

Ef Lukatsky/AP

The Russian attack occurred in the midst of the intensification of negotiations to end the war, with White House officials by pressing Zelenskyy and Ukraine to accept a possible peace plan that can include land assigned to Russia, according to a senior Ukrainian official. Trump accused Zelenskyy on Wednesday to prolong “the ‘field of killing’.

Ukrainian search engines clear the rubble after a Russian ballistic missile attack in kyiv, Ukraine, on Thursday, April 24, 2025.

Ef Lukatsky/AP

At least 70 people were injured during the night, including 42 that were hospitalized, said the Ukrainian state emergency service in a position in the telegram messaging application. Zelenskyy said that more than 80 people had been injured.

Six children were among the injured, said the emergency service.

“During the night, Russia made a massive attack against Ukraine,” said the Ministry of Defense. “Cruise missiles, drones, ballistic weapons, another blow to peaceful cities and Ukrainian houses.”

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov confirmed the strike, saying that the Russian army “continues to fulfill his tasks, which establish the commander in supreme chief.” He added that Moscow’s military orders include surprising “military and almost military objectives.”

Rescue operations continued early on Thursday in the capital, where the first to respond were digging through the debris of residential buildings for survivors, defense officials said.

Ukrainian rescuers carry a victim’s body while operating at the site of a Russian missile attack on kyiv on April 24, 2025 in the middle of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Genya Savilov/AFP through Getty Images

“These attacks are another confirmation: Russia is not looking for peace. He continues to kill Ukrainians,” said the ministry on social networks.

Outside kyiv, Russia also attacked the Zhytomyr, Dnipropetrovsk, Kharkiv, Poltava, Khmelnytskyi, Sumy and Zaporizhzhia regions.

“While he claimed to seek peace, Russia launched a deadly air attack on kyiv,” said Kaja Kallas, the high representative of the European Union for foreign affairs, on social networks. “This is not a search for peace, it is a mockery of it. The real obstacle is not Ukraine but Russia, whose war objectives have not changed.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

four × one =